Jan 24, 2012

Chantal Boudreau talks writing.

Okay, Chantal Boudreau,  This is a little Q & A to get to know a little more about you and thicken up those stalker portfolios.


1 – Milk or dark chocolate? 

White chocolate – I refuse to be limited by other people’s choices.




2 – What are your feelings in reference to LEGO’s? 

I have this fantasy about being trapped in a vault with a huge selection of every shape, size and colour.  Oh the things I would build...


3 – I know a lot of people as what the favorites are in regard to horror movies, but my question to
you...what is your favorite comedy and why? 

I love zomedies, like Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland and Fido, because I’m drawn to dark humour.  On the other hand, I’ve watched episodes of The Big Bang Theory multiple times and laugh myself silly over the same jokes.  That show kills me.


4 – What is the story/novel you are most proud of? My novel, Elements of Genocide, yet unpublished.  It is my most daring, and I pushed a lot of my own comfort boundaries.  Published, it would be my short story, “Little Sister”.  It made it through to the finals in Fangoria Online’s Weird Words competition, when there were thousands of entries.


5 – What is the most interesting thing you have learned? 

So many things from my research, it’s hard to pinpoint one thing.  I think perhaps the most interesting thing is how much a horrific erotic sex scene between two female Spiders can make people squirm, while still holding their attention.


6 – Do you do a lot of research for your writing? 

I love doing research.  I’ve researched languages, assorted wildlife from puffer-fish to bears to crows, a variety of obscure mythologies, plant use, genetic manipulation and even the type and nature of coffee grown in Haiti.  Researching for a story or novel is part of the plotting and discovery process for me.  Just because you write about the supernatural and fantastic, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t include elements of realism in your tale.


7 – Tell me about the novels you have written? 

I’ve written seventeen to date, three of which have been published and one that is scheduled for release as an ebook this month.  There are eight in my Masters & Renegades fantasy series so far and two more in planning, although only one has seen print so far.  Magic University was my first ever written and has been published through May December Publications.  It takes place in a single 24 hour period and I think it has a pretty interesting and unusual cast of characters.  MDP also has published the first two books, Fervor and Elevation, in my dystopian science fantasy series.  The third book in that series, Transcendence, is with test-readers at the moment.  The series is set in an alternate world where people possess psychokinetic powers that they refer to as “magic” which they use to fuel their technology, but it is also a place where power rests in the hands of the scientists who essentially control government and use the benefit of society as an excuse unethical treatment of individuals.  I also have a tribal dark fantasy trilogy and two dark fantasy/horror novels based on obscure mythologies that I have high hopes for.  My one and only urban fantasy romance, with Christian overtones, When you Whisper, should be available from Trestle Press as an ebook by the end of January.





8 – Do you consider yourself prolific? 

I suppose I am, but it’s relative.  I’ve been very prolific in the past two and a half years, considering I have a full-time day job and a family that requires my attention.  Before that I hadn’t written for years, because of school and other responsibilities.  Then again, I generally max out at about 6,000 words on my best days, while I know of other writers who can manage much higher daily word counts and pump out far more short stories than I do.


9 – How do you like to tell a story? Character driven, location of importance, or something else entirely?

My stories are primarily character driven, but plot is also extremely important to me.  I am a die-hard plotter and I won’t start writing until I have the framework of my story established.  I usually begin with the idea for an ending, along with a few major plot points.  I decide on my characters, do whatever research is necessary and set up a chapter-by-chapter outline, revising my ideas until I have a consistent and carefully thought out story.  Once I know my story well and can envision it in a cinematic way, I start writing, filling in any outline gaps and flushing out specific details.  When the first draft is done, I set it aside for a few months so that I can look at it with fresh eyes for the first edit.

10– What kind of music do you listen to when writing? 

I like edgy, primarily alternative rock, with some soulful pop, folk and global.  My playlists have included Linkin Park, 30 Seconds to Mars, Evanescence, The Fray, Billy Talent, Afro Celt Sound System, Finger Eleven, Skillet, Korn, Adam Lambert, Pink, Sarah Slean, Tori Amos, Seether, Three Days Grace, Trapt, Fuel, Bif Naked, Our Lady Peace, Nelly Furtado, Evanescence, Paramore, Megan McCauley, Avril LaVigne, Nickelback, Good Charlotte, and Creed.


11 – What is the most difficult thing you find about being a writer?

Not being able to just be a writer.  If you want to be published, now days you have to be promoter, blogger, editor, salesperson and social media mogul.  I’m an introvert at heart.  I love writing, but everything else associated with it is extremely challenging for me.

12 – Something about you that no one would believe.

Anyone who really knows me wouldn’t put anything past me, so I don’t think I could come up with anything I could actually mention in public here.

13 – Okay, now promote yourself here, what else have you done that you would like people to know about?

Well, I designed my own website, despite being a bit of a technophobe.  You can find it at: http://www.writersownwords.com/chantal_boudreau .  You’ll find free reads on my blog on that site as well as details regarding my published works and links to some interesting things, including the sites of writers I admire.  You can also find everything I have happening at Amazon at: http://www.amazon.com/Chantal-Boudreau/e/B004O1FP2E/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1 and if you want a taste of what I do via excerpts, teaser tales and research documentation, you can find all of those at : http://www.scribd.com/chantal_boudreau .

No comments:

Post a Comment